Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Von Dutch I'm not!

If you're gonna try pin striping, try it first on a $40 paint job! I've never pin striped before, but like many others, I've been intrigued with the process and wondered if I couldn't do the same thing. Well, at this point, I CAN'T DO THE SAME THING. However, I did well enough for it to pass as a legitimate striping job and I'm not changing it. So here's how it went down.


I slapped the striping brush around in the one shot paint and started in. Then I wiped it off. Then I striped it again....then I wiped it off and then I stri...then I wiped etc. etc. If you hold your tongue just right you might get it right...but I was shaking so much that I couldn't keep the line from wiggling. So after I finally finished the first fender, I left the other one until the next day.

By the time I finished the whole rig I felt like I was sort of getting the hang of it...but I now appreciate all the more the skill and talent of a good striper. Von Dutch was amazing and I will admire his work even more than I did before. But I got er' done and I'm pleased with the result...for a $40 day paint job!

Before I striped the pieces I cleaned them all with Meguiars cleaner. After the striping was done I came back with cleaner wax. Then a few days later I finished it off with Meguiars mirror gloss polish. It worked pretty good. Here's what it looks like finished.

Now you can see how that longer fender gives an "age" to the bike and how those leather mudflaps, 99 cent leather hide and luggage rack and the model A tail light make a bit of a hot rod out of this ol' beast.

I have some straight pipes to add still but that will happen soon. Check out the cool suitcase I found in an antique store too. I bought some "real vintage" luggage travel stickers off of EBay, put them on and then scratched them up a bit to give them a travelled look. Makes for a cool looking little ride for a minimum amount of money. Well there you have it...now it's time to take some trips...stay tuned!

No comments: